Getting a Better Gas Mileage in the Ford F-150
There is no denying that gas prices are increasing. So, it is important to know how to get better gas mileage in the Ford F-150. Keeping that in mind, to give you better fuel economy, Ford Motor comes with a full lineup of trucks with EcoBoost technology. There are several ways you can get improved gas mileage from your Ford F-150
Better Gas Mileage in a Ford F-150
When it comes to improving mileage in the Ford F-150, you can follow these tips and tricks.
Drive at the Optimum Speed Level
In a general sense, when you drive slower, the mileage will be better. But, driving slower may not be an option every time. So, you have to find an optimum speed level to get the maximum fuel economy.
However, the speed restrictions of the truck may vary from country to country. Still, if possible try to keep your speed between 55 to 65 mph to get better fuel economy and mileage.
Knowing strategic ways of driving will help you to improve the gas mileage in a Ford. Along with keeping the speed level at its optimum level, you should try to employ cruise control to improve the fuel mileage of the F-150.
Here is a great tip for you. Always try to go for multiple short trips continuously if possible. It will help you to improve the gas mileage. Because it will use a lot of gas to start the engine again after a cool-down period. Besides, in your idle period, try to stop the engine while you are in parking or stuck in heavy traffic.
Replace the Spark Plugs
If you have bad spark plugs in F-150, it can reduce the gas mileage by up to 30%. In that case, you will need to replace it as soon as possible. Replacing the spark plugs will surely improve the mileage of your F-150 truck.
ENA Set of 8 Platinum Spark Plug and 8 Straight Ignition Coil Pack Compatible with Ford 2005-2008 F150 F-150
- Ignition Coils Kits are engineered for original equipment and replacement applications. Every component either matches or improves on the OE design to ensure fast and easy installation with superior performance and reliability
- Compatible with Ford 2005 2006 2007 2008 Expedition 5.4L, 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 F150 5.4L,
Watch Your RPMs
Most of the F-150 trucks available in the market these days are designed with an automatic transmission system. However, if you own a truck with manual transmission or you have a desire to go for the digital manual shifting on the steering column of the truck, here is a small trick for you.
Always try to upshift gears before the RPM reaches 2500. It will not put that much strain on your engine. Also, the overall fuel efficiency of your vehicle will increase. To be specific, always keep an eye on the RPM. During accelerating your vehicle, you should try to keep the RPM low for better fuel efficiency.
Don’t Use AC Excessively
Using AC excessively is a significant reason for getting lower mileage from your gas. Because the Air conditioning system of your vehicle consumes a great level of fuel. That's why you should limit your overall usage of AC in the F-150. During slow driving in the city, try to complete your trip by rolling down the window instead of using AC to get better mileage.
Get Rid of Excessive Add-Ons
When you install different types of add-ons on your truck, such as mudflaps, chrome, roof racks, etc., it will create extra weight. Besides, the wind resistance might increase, which will have a significant disadvantage on the mileage. So, try to keep the stock design of the F-150 truck for less fuel consumption.
Use Fresh Oil
If you use fresh oil in your F-150, it will run quite smoothly. That’s why I always try to use recommended fresh lubricants in your Ford motor company F-150 truck for getting better fuel performance.
Clean Air Filters
When you talk about getting better miles per Gallon from an F-150 or improving the overall fuel efficiency, clean the air filter of your vehicle. Typically, the standard engine of your truck sucks the essential air to combine with fuel. But, if the air is dirty, the engine will need to work harder which will require more fuel consumption.
FRAM Extra Guard Air Filter, CA10262 for Select Ford and Lincoln Vehicles
- Provides 2X the engine protection
- A clean air filter improves air flow and prevents dirt and dust from entering the engine
- On-pack directions and illustrations provide clear installation instructions
- Follow recommended change intervals as noted in your vehicle owner's manual
- 12,000 mile change intervals help prevent decreased acceleration
Proper Gas Cap Seal
For efficient fuel consumption, the ratio of air and gas should be balanced. If the gas cap is not sealed properly or broken accidentally, the air might seep into the tank only to ruin the ratio. Make sure that the gas cap is properly sealed. If it is already broken, replace it immediately with a good one.
Motorcraft - Cap Asy - Fuel Tank (P) (FC1089)
- Leading Manufacturer Of High-Quality Products
- International Renown For Our Diverse Range Of Award-Winning Products
- Fully Equipped With State-Of-The-Art Technology
- All Products Have Been Designed With The Professional In Mind
- Constantly Modernizing Our Powerful Devices To Meet The Demands Of The Modern User
Avoid Unnecessary Exposure to the Hot Sun
If you leave your truck to direct exposure to the sun for a long time, the gas might start to evaporate from inside of the tank. That's why you should avoid direct exposure to the sun on your F-150. Park the vehicle in a shady spot.
Myths about Saving Gas in a Vehicle
There are some myths about improving the fuel efficiency of the F-150 which don't work. Explore them below so that you can avoid such misconceptions.
- Many believe that keeping the truck in neutral mode will limit the fuel usage of F-150. The reality is this strategy will not take you anywhere. Instead, it may backfire and increase the overall fuel consumption.
- There are many users of F-150 who fill up their gas in the early morning or night. Because they believe that if the temperature is colder, the gasoline will become denser. The truth is it is a myth.
- Another common myth is that manual transmission systems of the engine options are more fuel-efficient. So, manual trucks will offer you more fuel economy than automatic transmission. However, it is not true nowadays. Because of technological advancement, today's automatic transmission models also use fuel efficiently.
If you are an owner of a Ford F-150, it is necessary to know how to get better gas mileage in the Ford F-150. In this article, I tried to give you some effective tips and tricks which are proven to deliver better fuel economy. Now that you know how to improve mileage, I hope you will drive your F-150 more efficiently.