How to Choose the Best Car Roof Cargo Carrier?
Rooftop cargo carriers are mainly used for holding luggage, tents, sleeping bags, camping items, skis, stroller, and many other traveling essentials. With the right rooftop bag to meet your needs, you will achieve a good traveling experience.
However, with so many options and alternatives in the market, it’s hard to get the right one. When you choose the best cargo carrier for you, it will save you money, time, frustration in the future.
See our top picks of CAR ROOF STUFF…
CLICK on any image below to see Ratings and Reviews on Amazon…
|Image||Title||Price||Prime||Buy||Click to Edit|
|Top Top||Thule Force XT, XX-Large , Black||Prime||Check Me Out On Amazon||A tough carrier with sleek looks and a price to match|
|Top Top||SportRack Vista XL Rear Opening, Black, 18 Cubic Feet||Prime||Check Me Out On Amazon||A cavernous box with a decent price tag|
|Top Top||Keeper 07203-1 Waterproof, 15 Cubic Feet||Prime||Check Me Out On Amazon||A heavy duty solid cargo bag that fits most cars|
|Top Top||ARKSEN 250LB Universal 43" Auto Top Luggage Carrier Basket SUV Traveling Holder||Prime||Check Me Out On Amazon||A great option for simplicity and size|
|Top Top||TMS J-Bar Rack HD Kayak, Canoe, Boat, Surf, Ski Roof Top Mounted on Car SUV Crossbar||Prime||Check Me Out On Amazon||A great setup for getting your craft to the water|
|Top||Saris Bones EX Trunk Bike Rack Carrier, Mount 3 Bikes, Black (803)||Prime||Check Me Out On Amazon||A great option for your pedal bikes|
|Top||Allen Sports Deluxe Locking Quick Release 4-Bike Carrier for 2" Hitch, Model 542QR, Black||Prime||Check Me Out On Amazon||A towbar bike carrier at a good price|
There are 2 Main Types of Car Roof Cargo Carriers
Roof Top Cargo Boxes (Hard Top)
These are mostly made of hard plastic that is durable and offers great weather protection. The predefined shape remains the same no matter what you are keeping, which helps boost your vehicle’s aerodynamics.
These are expensive, but they are very durable, sturdy, and even have locked systems for ultimate protection. These do not require any mounted on crossbars.
Roof Top Cargo Bags (Soft Top)
These are bags mounted onto your roof bars; they mostly do not require any crossbars as well. Most of them are waterproof, and their zip is simply closed.
These cargo bags are a cheaper option, and you can easily fold away when not in use. However, these bags are not that much strong and more durable than the hardtop option and offer little security.
Examine the Dimensions of Cargo Boxes
Most cargo boxes are six feet long or longer. This size box can easily fit any luggage and mostly 180cm skis. Suppose you have skis or other items that are longer than 180cm, like a long pair of cross-country skis. Then you need to find an extra-long box that will fit them.
If you do not want to fit any lengthy items, then a six-foot cargo will do great.
A wide box or bag provides more storage capacity than a narrow one, but it also may cause you with no space on your rack’s crossbars for things like a bike rack or kayak rack.
If you want to have space for other gear on your roof, you may need to look for narrower boxes or wider crossbars.
Increasing the height of the cargo carrier is another option you can get to grow the capacity. But taller boxes may be critical for driving in certain places like the home garages, public parking garages, narrow ways, and drive-through restaurants.
If you got a taller vehicle, then you can pay attention to how much height a cargo box will add and where you can travel with it.
The cargo carrier height, weight, and length are all combined equal to the overall gear capacity. These are mainly expressed in cubic feet, cubic inches, or liters of a roof box. Most people do not have a specific number of feet, inches, or liters to determine the gear capacity.
- For 2 people 12 cu. ft. / 20,736 cu. in. / 340 liters.
- For 3 people 15 cu. ft. / 25,920 cu. in. / 425 liters
- For 4 people 18 cu. ft. / 31,104 cu. in. / 510 liters
- For 5 people 21 cu. ft. / 36,288 cu. in. / 595 liters
Ensure It Fits Well on Your Car
It is an important part of determining the size, color, and finish of your vehicle. You need to get what size is perfect for your vehicles’ size, like small bags or boxes are ideal for small vehicles etc. As for colors and finishing, it will depend on your choice as some options are available for you to go through.
Comfort in your vehicle is an essential factor you must consider when traveling with your friends and family. You need to have extra space in your car to sit comfortably on your journey. Also, you need to consider fitting your belongings, especially when camping or having kids on board.
A cargo carrier is the best option to solve all the storage problems. It plays a huge role in creating additional space to give a comfortable driving and traveling experience. Here I have given the four best cargo carriers so that you can choose the one you need most.
Best Roof Box, Cargo Bag and Carriers For Your Car
Yakima Skybox Carbonite Cargo Box
The Yakima cargo carrier is one of the most versatile solutions you can find. It is available in various sizes so that it can fit in any car. The best part of this is that it does not require any installation tools. It is built with carbonite material is 80% recycled, and lightweight so that it can not give extra weighing your car down.
It is created with a practical design that offers a design that can open each side of the box. It is made with an amazing Superlatch security system that protects against theft with a lockable top. With its longest length, the carrier is truly versatile and gives solutions for summer and winter needs.
- Sleek aerodynamic Carbonite textured lid; Designed with internal lid stiffeners for durability and easy open and close
- SuperLatch security ensures your lid is secure to its base, and your gear is safe; Dual-sided opening for easy access on either side of your vehicle; Tapered design reduces hatch interference
- No assembly required; Tool-free installation/removal from vehicle; SKS Locks included
- Fits Yakima round, square, factory, and aerodynamic bars; Minimum and maximum crossbar spreads: 24″ – 42″
- Hauls gear for up to 5 campers; fits snowboards and skis up to 215cm; Available in five sizes: Lo, 12, 16, 18, and 21 cubic feet
Fivklemnz Car Roof Bag Cargo Carrier
The Fivklenz has the safest design you can have, as you can use eight reinforced adjustable straps to hold the cargo in place. It also has an anti-slip mat to keep the cargo bag in place, even you are on a bumpy road or high speed, and it will not slip and give no scratches to your vehicle.
It has a large storage space that can allow you to hold 4 to 6 suitcases, tents, sleeping bags, sports equipment, etc. It is easy to install, as it can fit any vehicle and easily set up to roof rack in minutes with four-door hooks.
This carrier is built with excellent weather protection and resistance to tears and abrasion. Warranty does NOT look as good as the roofpax warranty belwo.
- Most Safe Design: For security reasons, we use 8 reinforced adjustable straps to keep the cargo carrier in place. In addition, equipped with free anti-slip mat to keep the cargo bag stay in place even in high speed road or bump road, no slip, no scratch to your car.
- Large Storage Space: Fivklemnz roof bag was designed to solve the problem of limited storage space in the car. 15 cubic feet rooftop cargo bag allows you to hold 4-6 suitcases, travel luggage case, tents, sleeping bags and more. Free up inside vehicle space for more comfortable on the way.
- Easy to Install: Fivklemnz rooftop cargo carrier fits for any car, truck, or SUV. If there is not roof side rails on your car, it can be quickly and easily installed to roof rack in minutes with 4 door hooks.
- 100% Waterproof: Made of 700D Oxford cloth, Fivklemnz roof bag adopts a genuine waterproof zipper, used in extreme weather and is protected with a double flap. All seams are heat welded and stitched to ensure they are watertight. 100% waterproof and rainproof under extreme weather.
- 100% Refund or Replacement: 7 x 24 online customer support, ask us anything at any time. Backed by 30 days money-back guarantee and 12 months limited warranty.
RoofPax Car Roof Bag and Rooftop Cargo Carrier
The Roofpax car roof bag is the most practical soft-top solution and is even easy to use. It has maximum safety provided with six-door hook straps can protect the bag. It is military quality water-resistant with waterproof double zippers and dual seam technology with water repellent double coating.
Unlike other bags that only offer vast space to hold 4 to 6 suitcases, it is the best choice for a family trip—included with a protective mat to prevent scratched paint and keep your luggage from sliding around during traveling.
The warranty look very good for the roofpax cargo carrier. Make sure you go to the roofpax website and check it out. Looks like a 5 year guarantee. That is excellent.
- SAFETY COMES FIRST: RoofPax is the ONLY brand that produces its Car Roof Bag for maximum safety with 4+2 free door hooks (included), instead of using straps that go inside the car.
- Tying down any car top luggage involving straps going through the inside of the car is HIGHLY dangerous as they interfere with air bags in case they open and are illegal to use in some states.
- RoofPax is the safest and most secure Car Roof Cargo Bag on the market today.
- MILITARY QUALITY WATERPROOF: This premium quality car top bag is made of military grade materials with waterproof dual seam technology and water repellent double coating.
- Features include a built-in protective mat and 10 elastic velcro strap restrainers to prevent strap flapping.
- Security features also include a heavy duty SBS zipper, 10 strong straps with NIFCO buckles and double strap covers with 8 Velcro stripes.
- WORKS WITH or WITHOUT ROOF RACK: Use RoofPax car roof top luggage carrier with any sized car or SUV.
- It can be quickly and easily installed in minutes whether your vehicle has a rack installed or not.
- X-LARGE SIZE: The dimensions of: L47.2″ x W 35.4″ x H 19.8″
- Provides 19 cubic feet of rooftop cargo storage so you will never run out of space for carrying all you need on your next car trip or adventure.
- LIFETIME WARRANTY on Zippers and Buckles for breakage or tear! *Activation of warranty required on RoofPax website*
ARKSEN Roof Rack Cargo Carrier
If you are a lover of roof baskets and require an extended design, then the Arksen roof rack can be a brilliant choice. With a durable and simple metal construction using only four bolts, you can easily keep different cargo bags, camping equipment, luggage, and more.
You can easily install it on any vehicle, but you will need a cargo strap to secure your cargo. Since there is no moving equipment, it is highly durable and sturdy compared with other cargo carriers. It can even hold bikes and skiing equipment as it’s the best camping gear you can get.